5th JSFF - Brief
Japanese Serbian Film Festival started in 2014 as Japanese Short Film festival with agenda to enhance Japanese cultural promotion to Serbia and other countries as well. Later in 2015, festival transformed into cultural exchange event where visitors had unique comparative learning experience of seeing works of Serbian and Japanese directors responding on same issue.
Through previous events we had witnessed more common influence of filming crews from both countries which are identifying similar problems in our societies.
Thus, JSFF2018 lifts from cultural learning, through cultural exchange towards building future together.
Theme of JSFF2018 will deepen visionary status and skills of next generation. It is very difficult to find unique way of expressing exact interpretation of vision without context. For this year, JSFF will provide three contexts for adapting VISION theme:
- Global Vision
- Documented Visionary Impact
- Vision Imaginative
1. GLOBAL VISION – In this context we are expecting works on “How do we imagine our world to be?” It is not limited to world, country, city or community, but we do hope to find global phenomena exposed within (Political, Social, Science and tech, Sports, Arts and other disciplines can be used as explanatory area of visionary world).
Complexed parallel timelines showed that vision hasn’t straighten common global direction yet. While we have advanced robotics and Ai development breakthrough in Japan as visionary concept, in Serbia vision has more socio-political form. We understand that Japanese TV and Cinema for decades had built solid ground for mass understanding of advanced tech, thus innovations fantasy and scientific content grew into pop culture with strong global identity. Unlikely, Serbia (successor of SFR Yugoslavia) home of two outstanding innovative patents (FIRST ROBOTIC HAND and EXOSCELLETON), former reginal robotic and technology leading country, facing complexed geo-political impacts have lost grounds of science and tech awareness. Today, we can mostly see social visionary topics in Serbian cinema.
2. DOCUMENTED VISIONARY IMPACT - Documentaries which follow impact of individuals or one group’s vision and its realization. No limitations of areas and disciplines followed.
Also interpret as Vision in Realization, other stories to enhance Visionary role in every process. We hope to see how ones or groups Vision inspired or led the idea to reality.
3. VISION IMAGINATIVE – There is grey area of undeterred meaning of “Vision” which we open for various interpretative methods.
Questions on which applicants can think to respond of could be:
- How vision would look like?
- How does Vision feel?
- How Vision behaves?
- What would world be without vision?
- How people without vision build their world?
- Surreal interpretation of vision (Images or sound)
Application deadline is September 15th 2018
1st round – Fulfilled form (download link) + streaming link (with password if necessary)
2nd round – Screening selected applicants are obliged to provide:
- Screening video file
- English subtitles (as independent file)
- Film poster in High resolution
- Stills (minimum 2).
Submissions to be sent on email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications title format: TITLE, COUNTRY, YEAR / DIRECTOR / JSFF2018
EX: Identity, Japan, 2017 / Jin Kibagami / JSFF2018
Who can apply?
Japan, Serbia, Others (conditional)
If movie is not created in production of one of JSFF mother countries, films are eligible for application if:
- Directors origin country is Japan or Serbia
- Film is made in Serbia or Japan by foreign production
- Film follows Visionary phenomena in area of Serbia and/or japan
- Topic relates to Visionary phenomena with Serbia and/or japan
- Topic relates with global visionary phenomena (in this case Serbia and/or Japan should be one of countries from the content).
JSFF2018 has no genre limitations
Competition submissions cannot extend 30:00 mins
JSFF2018 will consider applications of unlimited duration works in revival program.
Mpeg, Wmv, Avi, Mp4,
Size limit: 2GB
All movies from previous JSFF are not eligible for applications.